That awkward moment when you realize buying a special edition copy of a book and then a hardcover box set that will include that book, minus the special edition part, knowing the box set won’t be available until October, and the special edition had to be ordered from the US crosses the boundaries of normal obsession into the realm of cray cray…and yet you feel no shame, rather just a perverse desire to pull a Superman and spin the world ahead eight months…
Because capitalizing on love is what February 14th does best! Voila five quotes all about l’amour…
“I have something I need to tell you,” he says. I run my fingers along the tendons in his hands and look back at him. “I might be in love with you.” He smiles a little. “I’m waiting until I’m sure to tell you, though.”
– Veronica Roth, Divergent
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
– John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
“I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough..”
– Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook (Because who does cheesy love stories better than NS? No one. That’s who.)
“You love me. Real or not real?”
I tell him, “Real.”
– Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay
“In my arms is a woman who has given me a Skywatcher’s Cloud Chart, a woman who knows all my secrets, a woman who knows just how messed up my mind is, how many pills I’m on, and yet she allows me to hold her anyway. There’s something honest about all this, and I cannot imagine any other woman lying in the middle of a frozen soccer field with me – in the middle of a snowstorm even – impossibly hoping to see a single cloud break free of a nimbostratus.”
– Matthew Quick, The Silver Linings Playbook
“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
“I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
– John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
I know you’ve all seen it already, but allow me to provide an excuse to watch it again (for the twentieth time.)
“As long as you’re alive, there’s always a chance things will get better.”
“Or worse,” said Liraz.
“Yes,” he conceded. “Usually worse.”
Hazael cut in. “My sister, Sunshine, and my brother, Light. You two should rally the ranks. You’ll have us killing ourselves by morning.”
– Days of Blood and Starlight, Laini Taylor
***66 days until Dreams of Gods & Monsters!***
The Princess Bride – a literary goldmine of awesomness brought to us by William Goldman – the man who gave the world Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid – first published in 1973 was eventually turned into a great film featuring the talents of Carey Elwes, Robin Wright, Andre the Giant, Mandy Patinkin and Christopher Guest. Many a person however fails to acknowledge the brilliance of the original source. I strive to correct that most grievous oversight. Behold ten of the best quote from The Princess Bride.
10. “Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
9. “When I was your age, television was called books.”
8. “Life isn’t fair, it’s just fairer than death, that’s all.”
7. “You are trying to kidnap what I have rightfully stolen, and I think it quite ungentlemanly.”
6. “Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love – you think this happens every day?
5. “Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I’ll most likely kill you in the morning.”
4. “You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is ‘Never get involved in a land war in Asia,’ but only slightly less well known is this: ‘Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.'”
3. “I’ve been saying it so long to you, you just wouldn’t listen. Every time you said ‘Farm Boy do this’ you thought I was answering ‘As you wish’ but that’s only because you were hearing wrong. ‘I love you’ was what it was, but you never heard.”
2. “Let’s look on the bright side: we’re having an adventure, Fezzik, and most people live and die without being as lucky as we are.”
1. “Hello,” he said. “My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”